The thing about raising children to be independent and go off and do their own thing, is that they do. Who knew! LOL
Seriously, though, I totally did that. I wanted the girls to know they were not expected to hang around. That I wanted them to go off and experience life as they saw fit. And that’s what they did. Skye lives up north, and Zowie lives down south. We are all in the same state, just hours away from each other.
We are also on tight budgets. We don’t get to see each other often.
I was blessed to have Skye and Dominick here for a few days just before Christmas. I set them up at the hotel where I work, and saw them each day. We went Christmas shopping, had a Yule dinner with family and friends, and visited my parents.
Then Zowie, Devan, and Little Man arrived to spend the night at the inn. We opened gifts at my place, then went to a Christmas gathering with family and friends at my parents place. Later, Little Man spent the night with me, and Skye came over for a while before bed to play with him. Little Man always sleeps with me when he visits, so he sleeps more than I do.
The last day, they all ended up back at my place for a visit before heading home. Zowie’s husband and Skye’s boyfriend are getting along so well. They both play Magic, so they have plenty to talk about. Mom says they get along so well because they are both smart guys.
It was a little sad seeing them all off, but they have lives to get back to and so do I.
The problem with living so far from one another is that we don’t get to see each other often. We talk on the phone once in a while. Write to each other sometimes. I even do the occasional video chat with Little Man and his mom. But lately this does not seem to be enough for me. I need more interaction with them this year, so here is some of what is going to happen:
- Skye and Dominick will be back this way for a couple of days in another month or two, so I’ll get to spend a little more time with them.
- I’ll be going up north to visit them for a few days before March.
- I’m sure they’ll get here at least one more time before the end of 2017, and I might be back up north again next fall.
- I’ll be taking another short vacation in the spring or summer to visit with Zowie, Devan, and Little Man.
- They’ll make it this way again at least once more during the year.
- I’ll be writing to the girls each month and, hopefully, they’ll be writing back! I did this with them a couple of years back.
- I want to do more video chats with Zowie and Little Man, and am hoping to get Skye involved as well. Skye has only once done a video chat with us. It is difficult with our schedules all being so different, but I think we need to do this.
- And I want to do some video chats with just me and Skye.
I miss my girls and Little Man so much! But I’m so happy they are off doing their own things. Having their own experiences. Do you need more interaction with someone who lives away? Or do you have tips on how to interact with loved ones when you can’t see them often?
What are your family related goals for the new year?
Happy New Year!