Be it her birthday, Mother’s Day, or any number of other special occasions, moms deserve to be celebrated, pampered, and loved.
Being a mother is the greatest thing I’ve ever been, the hardest and most rewarding thing I’ve ever done. I’m sure other moms feel the same. Not until I became a mom myself, did I have a full appreciation of all my mom did for us when my siblings and I were growing up, and not until my daughters were teenagers did I have a full picture of all we put her through. And this is why I believe moms deserve special treatment on special days.
I’ve been thinking about my favorite things from the girls on special day. My favorite thing the girls used to do for me on Mother’s Day was to make me breakfast in bed. They could cook before they were teenagers, so I enjoyed quite a few such breakfasts over the years. I used to love when they would make me cards and crafts, and spending time with them on special days. I think most moms love spending time with their children.
Whether you’re looking for a last-minute Mother’s Day gift because you’re a single mom who has been so busy you haven’t even done the grocery shopping for the next week, or you are looking for another type of gift for your mom, these ideas will get you started:
Spending Time with mom
Time is the best gift of all. If you’re from out-of-town and are staying with her during your visit, why not make her breakfast in bed. Wait until she wakes up, and bring her coffee or tea to have while she waits.
Make her favorite breakfast and set it up on a tray with a small vase that holds a couple of daisies of other wild flowers. Sit and chat with her while she eats. Better yet, make up another tray and join her!
Talk about fond memories of growing up, and funny stories, then give her a card with gift cards for her favorite restaurant, a hair cut, and the local book store.
Give mom the gift of Experiences
Perhaps you’d rather take your mom on an excursion. A trip to the coast, or a walk through a beautiful public garden to take pictures. Maybe she’s a shopper, and that’s how you choose to spend your day.
Some moms might be happy with a dinner and a movie. Take her to her favorite restaurant, and then let her choose the movie she most wants to see. The day is all about her, after all.
Others might want to do a luncheon or barbecue to include other family members and close friends. You can set this up for her rather quickly, and make it memorable by getting everyone involved in sharing memories of their moms.
Gift for mom
You might decide to get your mom a gift, or a variety of gifts. Whatever you do, make it special by getting her things you know she’ll love. There are so many gift options, the ideas seem limitless. Here are some to get you started:
- If you’re getting your mom a new cell phone, why not get her a decorative case for it. Check out these by Cutebe on Amazon.com. (They sent me these three to try.)
They are adorable, but they did not fit my phone. Now I’m looking for homes for them.
I love the floral designs, and the pretty lace design.
Would your mom like a cell phone case in one of these styles or another? Think about her likes, and the type of person she is, and see if you can match one to her.
- If your mom is a walker, perhaps she’d like some comfortable walking shoes, a stainless steel water bottle, and a backpack to carry her lunch in for those days she’ll be hiking for hours.
- If she likes to be pampered, perhaps a spa day is in order. Get her a restaurant card so she can have lunch, a gift certificate for a local spa, and a gift card to her favorite coffee shop.
- Or perhaps she likes to pamper herself. You could go wild with this, or keep it small.
I recently received this trio of products to try. Though I’ve only been using them for three days, I do notice my skin is softer. I’ll keep using them, for sure. The products are from PCA Skin, and are used on the face and neck. You clean your face first, then apply the acne gel, the total face serum, then, at night, the collagen hydrator cream. I do believe this last product is what makes my skin so soft.
You might even add some body wash and a nice perfume to her gift.
- A great gift for any mom is always a portrait of family members, or a grouping of pictures.
- If mom works a lot, perhaps she’d enjoy a weekend away. Have all her children pitch in and get her a reservation to a cottage for a weekend, near the ocean, and send her with gift cards for restaurants and stores in the area.
There are so many ways you can make mom feel special. Knowing her likes and what she wants to do will get you far when figuring out what special gifts she’d like.